KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — Junior Jessie Hammers broke her own single-season hits record on Sunday afternoon, but the Keuka College Softball team dropped the doubleheader to Cazenovia.
Keuka College (13-19, 8-8 NEAC) lost the opener 10-4. Cazenovia College then defeated the Wolves in their final at bat 4-3 in game two.
Cazenovia College 10 at Keuka College 4
The Wildcats wasted no time and took advantage of Keuka College miscues as the Wildcats scored five unearned runs in the first inning for the lead. Keuka College got two back on RBI singles by Shelby Burgess and Jessie Hammers in the second.
Cazenovia added a run, but the Wolves cut the lead to two in the sixth. Jessie Hammers singled with the bases loaded to score a run. Janessa Vaadi worked a bases-loaded walk as well to make it a 6-4 game. However, Cazenovia got four in their half of the inning as the Wildcats defeated Keuka 10-4.
Lead Wolf: Jessie Hammers had three of Keuka College's eight hits in game one, giving her 52 on the year, tying her previous career-high and school record. Hammers also drove in a pair of runs and scored one as well.
Cazenovia College 4 at Keuka College 3
Keuka College scored right away in game two as Jessie Hammers led the game off with a bunt single and stole second. She then scored on an RBI double to left center by Janessa Vaadi as the Wolves took a 1-0 lead.
Cazenovia answered with RBI doubles of their own in the second and fourth to take a 2-1 lead. The Wolves responded in the fifth as a double steal plated a run to tie the game. Keuka College then tied the game in the sixth with an RBI groundout to make it 3-2.
Due to the rescheduled and moved game, Cazenovia College was the home team at Keuka's field, giving the Wildcats the last at bat in the bottom of the seventh. The Wildcats opened the inning with a single and a walk. After a bunt to advance the runners, a groundball was hit to Hammers at shortstop. The junior fielded it, stopped the tying runner at third from advancing, and threw the batter out at first for two outs. However, the next batter hit a fly ball. The ball popped in and out of the Keuka College glove, allowing both runners to score and Cazenovia to have the 4-3 walkoff victory.
Lead Wolf: The leadoff single by Hammers was the record-setter, giving the junior 53 hits on the season. Jessie Hammers ends the regular season leading the North Eastern Athletic Conference in both hits and batting average.
- Keuka College falls to 37-25 all-time against Cazenovia College
- It was the first time since 2005 that the Wildcats have swept the Wolves at Keuka College
- Jessie Hammers also broke the tie and now stands alone in second on the career hits list at Keuka College with 144 in her three seasons. She sits just 16 hits behind Sarah Fredericks for the career lead at Keuka
- Whitney Tyler struck out five in game two for Keuka. The sophomore now has 123 strikeouts in her career, passing Kasie Davis for eighth on the career list
- Jessie Hammers also broke her school record for longest hitting streak in a season. With her hits in two games today, she has hit safely in 15 straight games, topping her previous record. Overall, Jessie Hammers has hit safely in 29 of the last 30 games
Up Next for Keuka College: Sunday closed the regular season for the Wolves. Keuka College will advance to the North Eastern Athletic Conference Tournament. Final seedings and postseason schedule will be released later tonight by the conference.