CAZENOVIA, N.Y. – The Keuka College Softball team closed the 2017 North Eastern Athletic Conference regular season with a sweep of Cazenovia College, defeating the Wildcats by the scores of 8-2 and 9-0.
Keuka College (25-9, 23-1 NEAC) was once again led by freshman Jessie Hammers. The leadoff batter had five hits on the day including a triple, drove in two runs and scored three for the Wolves. Mickenzie Palmer added a four-hit day for the Wolves. Katelyn Warren and Samantha Blum each had three hits on the day for the Green and Gold. Warren drove in four runs while Blum cashed in three in the sweep. Katelyn Warren also added her first home run of the season in Game 1.
Colleen Mooney and Janessa Vaadi combined once again for the sweep. Mooney won the opener allowing just three hits and striking out six. Vaadi pitched another shutout for the Wolves. The sophomore scattered five hits while striking out six Wildcats.
Keuka College 8 at Cazenovia College 2
Keuka College scored first on Sunday afternoon with a three runs in the top of the second inning. Two of those runs came in on a triple by Jessie Hammers. Cazenovia answered with a run in the bottom of the inning, but Keuka got in back in the fifth. The Wolves scored on a double steal and then Katelyn Warren hit a two-run home run to give Keuka a 6-1 lead. The run support was enough for Mooney who won her 15th game of the season. Keuka added two in the sixth on a two-run double by Samantha Blum. The Wildcats plated one late but Keuka College continued onto the 8-2 victory in Game 1.
Lead Wolf: Jessie Hammers set the table for Keuka College at the top of the order. The freshman had three hits on the day, including a triple. She scored a run and drove in two as well.
Keuka College 9 at Cazenovia College 0
The two pitchers dominated early in Game 2 as it was scoreless after three innings. Keuka broke through in the fourth with a pair of runs. The Green and Gold then took control of the game in the fifth inning when Brittany Vergason hit a bases-clearing double, scoring three runs, and giving Keuka a 5-0 laed. The Wovles added to it in the seventh with Blum walked with the bases loaded to force in a run. Keuka then got an RBI single by Warren and two-run single by Alexa Brown as the Wolves secured the sweep, winning Game 2 by the score of 9-0.
Lead Wolf: For the second game in a row, Vaadi shined in the circle for the Wolves. She allowed only five hits and walked one in a complete game shutout. Vaadi finishes this weekend without allowing a run and with two wins, 14 innings pitched, only eight hits, and striking out 16 batters.
- Keuka College finishes the conference regular season with a 23-1 record in the North Division
- The Wolves avenged their only conference loss of the year to Cazenovia. Keuka is now 32-23 all-time against the Wildcats
- 25 wins by Keuka College ties the school record for wins in a season. The 2007 team posted a 25-6 record, the most wins in program history and the second highest winning percentage
- Jessie Hammers was caught stealing for the first time this season in Game 1. The freshman is now 27-28. Her 27 steals is the third most in a season in program history and is also 5th most in a career at Keuka College. The freshman ranks behind teammate Samantha Blum on the career list. Blum added to her career total with a stolen base today and now has 29 overall
- Katelyn Warren breaks a tie with Ally Muller '16 and moves into fourth place all-time on the Keuka College career home runs list
Coming up for Keuka College: The Wolves have one final doubleheader before the North Eastern Athletic Conference tournament. Keuka College will host Alfred University on Tuesday, May 2 before travelling to Pennsylvania to defend the NEAC Championship on Friday.