KEUKA PARK, N.Y. – The Keuka College Softball team continued their winning ways as the Wolves swept Penn College 5-2 and 7-3 on Wednesday in a North Eastern Athletic Conference doubleheader.
Senior Samantha Blum had a strong day for Keuka College (21-9, 19-1 NEAC). Blum combined for five hits on the day including two doubles and four runs batted in. Jessie Hammers filled the box score with three hits, four runs scored, four runs batted in, and two stolen bases. Senior Alysha Bachman added three hits on the day for the Wolves.
Colleen Mooney got the double for Keuka College. The freshman got the complete game win in game one and entered in relief in game two, earning the victory. She combined for 10.2 innings pitched, allowing just eight hits, not walking a batter, and striking out seven.
Keuka College 5 vs. Penn College 2
Keuka College took a first inning lead against the Wildcats with an RBI single by Katelyn Warren. After Penn College tied it in the third, the Wolves regained the lead in the fourth. Alysha Bachman had an RBI single and Jessie Hammers walked with the bases load to make it 3-1. Penn made it 3-2 in the top of the sixth, but Hammers had an RBI triple in the bottom of the inning and later scored on an illegal pitch. Keuka College continued onto the 5-2 victory.
Lead Wolf: Jessie Hammers was a headlight for Keuka College all game at the top of the lineup. The freshman finished 2-2 in the game with a walk and sacrifice bunt. When on the bases, she showcased her speed with a pair of stolen bases.
Keuka College 7 vs. Penn College 3
The two teams traded runs in the first inning of Game 2. The score would remain 1-1 until the fourth inning when Penn College scored a pair of runs. Damage could have been worse, but Mooney entered the game in relief and stranded the bases loaded, ending the inning with a strikeout. Momentum swung to the Wolves side as Keuka got three straight two-out hits to score runs. Hammers plated one with a single and then Brittany Vergason scored two with a triple. Vergason scored on an RBI single by Blum as the Wolves led 5-3. Blum added insurance in the sixth with a two-run triple and Mooney quieted the Wildcat bats as Keuka College won the second game 7-3 to complete the conference sweep.
Lead Wolf: Samantha Blum shined on Senior Day. She went 3-4 at the plate with a triple. Blum tied her career high with four RBIs in the game.
- Keuka College improves to 10-2 against Penn College
- The win in Game 1 was the 250th of Head Coach Jamie Burke's career. She has a career record of 251-117-1, coaching in her 12th season at Keuka College
- Samantha Blum moved into fourth place on the career RBI list. With her four runs batted in today, the senior now has 76 in her career
- Colleen Mooney moved into a tie for third place on the Keuka College single season wins list. After winning both games of the doubleheader today, the freshman now has 13 on the season
- Jessie Hammers added to her stolen base total with three more against Penn College. She now has 20 on the season, fifth most in a season in school history. That also places her in seventh place on the career stolen bases list
Coming up for Keuka College: The Wolves will wrap up their North Eastern Athletic Conference regular season on the road this weekend with a pair of doubleheaders. Keuka College will play at Morrisville State on Saturday and then travel to Cazenovia College to face the Wildcats on Sunday.