KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Men's Volleyball team defeated Randolph-Macon College in five sets on Friday night in the 2020 Keuka College Invitational at the JMW Recreation and Athletics Center.
Keuka College (6-7) was led with a career-effort by Marcus Davic. The senior recorded 18 kills on the night and six blocks to lead the Wolves. Kamren Record had 43 assists and Seth Welker added a career-high 19 digs in the win.
Keuka College 3 vs. Randolph-Macon College 2 – 25-21, 19-25, 25-23, 17-25, 20-18
The Green and Gold took the lead early in the first set, extending it to 7-3. The Yellow Jackets shrunk the margin down to one 14-13, but the Wolves converted four straight to regain their advantage. A kill by Gavin Record ended the opener in favor of the Wolves 25-21.
After a tight start in the second, the Yellow Jackets took the lead over the Wolves. In total, there was four ties and three lead changes in the frame. With the score tied at 15-15, Randolph-Macon scored four unanswered. They carried that momentum to win the second set 25-19, levelling the match.
Randolph-Macon started the third with the serve and scored the first four points. The Green and Gold would be fighting from behind most of the set. Down 15-7, Keuka College scored eight straight points to tie the set. The third would remain close. Tied at 23-23, Randolph-Macon committed a service error. Alex Boglev had solo block to end the third 25-23 as Keuka College took a 2-1 lead in the match.
Another close set would begin in the fourth, but Randolph-Macon had a six-point rally midway through the set to build a 19-12 advantage. The Yellow Jackets saw the lead out as the won the fourth 25-17 to force a fifth and final set.
Randolph-Macon started on the advantage. The Yellow Jackets led early and forced the change-over at 8-4. Keuka came out of the switch with three straight to get back into the set. The Wolves later scored five in a row to tie the set at 13-13. After the Yellow Jackets took the lead, Marcus Davic tied it back up with a kill. Keuka College defended multiple set points. They would get the late advantage. On match point for Keuka, Kamren Record and Emmett O'Brien teamed up for a block as the Wolves won the fifth set 20-18 to win the match.
- Friday was the first ever meeting between Keuka College and Randolph-Macon College
- The Wolves improve to 18-2 in the Keuka College Invitational. Keuka has won the last 12 matches in their home tournament
- Davic led an attack that totaled 56 kills in the match, fifth-most in a five-set match in program history
- Brad McKnight added to the attack with 12 kills against the Yellow Jackets
- The Wolves played strong at the net with 14 blocks as a team. It tied for fourth-most in a five-set match. Leading the way for Keuka College was Marcus Davic and Emmett O'Brien. Each finished with six blocks in the match
- Kamren Record tied his career-high in assists. He also tied for third for most assists in a five-set match in Keuka College Men's Volleyball history
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves will close out the 2020 Keuka College Invitational on Saturday with a pair of matches from the JMW Recreation and Athletics Center. Keuka will open the day with Hiram College at noon. The Wolves will then close this year's invitational with a 2pm match against the Sage Colleges.