AURORA, N.Y. — The Keuka College Men's Volleyball team split a pair of North Eastern Athletic Conference matches on Saturday at Wells College.
Keuka College (5-6, 3-1 NEAC) swept SUNY Potsdam to start the day, but ended with a three-set sweep to nationally-ranked Wells College to close the afternoon.
Keuka College 3 vs. SUNY Potsdam 0 – 25-20, 26-24, 25-18
The Wolves jumped out to an early 6-1 advantage over the Bears on Saturday. SUNY Potsdam would cut the lead to one, but the Wolves regained control of the set. Cole Riley delivered the kill for the Wolves as Keuka took the opening set 25-20.
Potsdam would have the lead as the second set was much closer. It would go down to the final points. With the set tied 24-24, Keuka got a block by Alex Boglev and Emmett O'Brien to get the advantage. Keuka then took the second set following an error by the Bears as the Wolves took a 2-0 lead in the match.
After being close early, Keuka would extend their third set lead to as many as nine points at 21-12. It was Cole Riley again to end it for the Wolves. The junior got his fifth kill of the match to end the third set 25-18 as Keuka College swept the match.
Lead Wolf: Five kills by Riley was a career-high, but another career-high led the Keuka College attack. Sophomore John Kean led the Wolves with a career-best nine kills in the win.
#t6 Wells College 3 vs. Keuka College 0 – 25-17, 25-20, 25-18
The Express took the lead over the Wolves, but Keuka rallied to take a 10-8 in the opening set. The hosts responded with seven unanswered points to build a 15-10 advantage. The Wolves would cut the deficit to one, but that would be as close as it got in the set as Wells defeated Keuka 25-17.
Keuka College took a lead early against the Express. Emmett O'Brien hit a kill for the Green and Gold to take a 16-12 lead. Wells College scored five straight to take the lead. A kill by Gavin Record snapped the run, but Wells scored the next four points to build a lead. The Express took a 2-0 lead in the match, winning the second set 25-20.
After an even start, Wells College converted seven of eight points to take an 18-10 lead. The Express saw the match out as they won the third 25-18 to sweep the match.
Lead Wolf: Brad McKnight led the Wolves with 10 kills against the Express.
- It was the first ever meeting between Keuka College and SUNY Potsdam in volleyball. It is the first year of the program for the Bears. SUNY Postdam is an associate member in the North Eastern Athletic Conference
- Keuka College had eight blocks as a team against SUNY Potsdam. Solomon Shabazz led the effort with five blocks in the first match
- The Wolves lost their sixth straight to Wells College. The Express lead the all-time series 11-4
- It was the ninth match for Keuka College against a nationally-ranked team. The Wolves are 0-9 in those matches
- Gavin Record had six kills against the Express. The junior now has 264 in his career, tying Jared Kucko for ninth in program history
- With the win against SUNY Potsdam, Keuka started the conference season with a 3-0 record for the first time in program history
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves return home on Wednesday to host Nazareth College in a non-conference matchup. The Golden Flyers and Wolves will start at 7pm from the JMW Recreation and Athletics Center.