KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Men's Volleyball team lost a five-set match to Medaille College at the JMW Recreation and Athletics Center on Friday Night.
Medaille College 3 at Keuka College 2 – 15-25, 25-22, 17-25, 27-25, 15-13
The Wolves got out to a fast start, scoring the first four points of the match. Keuka extended their lead midway through the set. Keuka led by as many as 11 in the first. Medaille would hit their last attack of the set long as the Green and Gold won the opener 25-15.
Medaille College would take the early 7-3 lead over the Wolves, forcing Keuka to use a timeout. The Mavericks would extend their lead, but Keuka would continue to battle. However, the Wolves were unable to cut into the initial four-point lead by Medaille until later in the set. Marcus Davic capped a three-point run for the Wolves, forcing Medaille to call a timeout with the Mavericks still holding an 18-16 lead. Keuka College cut the margin to one, but it would be as close as the Wolves would get it. Medaille won the second set 25-22 to level the match at 1-1.
Keuka started quickly, taking a 3-0 lead over the Mavericks. An ace by Gavin Record gave the Wolves a 10-4 lead and forced Medaille to use a timeout. Keuka played their cleanest set of the match, committing just two errors while hitting nine kills. Gavin Record put the ball to the floor on the deciding point as Keuka won the third set 25-17, taking a 2-1 lead in the match.
The Mavericks continued the trend of the alternating early lead, but the Wolves tied the set early at 5-5 on a kill by Emmett O'Brien off of an overpass by Medaille. The Mavericks regained the lead and extended it to four points at 11-7. Medaille continued to press the Wolves, taking a 17-12 as Keuka used their second timeout. The Wolves continued to battle, tying the match back up at 22-22. Brad McKnight hit a kill to bring up match point at 24-23, but the Mavericks got a kill and followed that with an ace to bring up their own set point. McKnight drew the match level again at 25-25 with another kill. However, two kills by the Mavericks ended the set and forced a fifth and final set.
The Green and Gold took the early lead in the fifth set. Medaille College rallied to tie the set at 6-6. The Mavericks forced the change-over follow a ball handling error on the Wolves. The set would be tied at 11-11, 12-12, and 13-13. Medaille took advantage of a Keuka service error and ended the match with an ace as the Mavericks won the fifth 15-13, taking the match 3-2.
- The Wolves remain winless against Medaille College in 11 matches. It was the third time that Keuka and Medaille played the full five sets
- No love. The Keuka College Men's Volleyball team is now 1-3 in games played on Valentine's Day
- Keuka College had its four-game winning streak snapped
- With his career-high 15 kills, Gavin Record breaks into the top ten in career kills at Keuka College
- As a team, Keuka recorded 11 blocks in the match. The effort was led by freshman Connor McDonnell with a career-best six blocks
- Keuka College was efficient in their attack. The Wolves finished with a .200 hitting percentage. It ranked as the fourth-best hitting percentage in a five-set match in program history.
Up Next for Keuka College: There will be no rest for the Wolves as Keuka College is back in action tomorrow. Keuka will travel to Wells College to face both the nationally-ranked Express and newcomer SUNY Potsdam in a pair of North Eastern Athletic Conference matches.