BUFFALO, N.Y. – The Keuka College Men's Volleyball team fell in a back-and-forth match on Sunday to hosts D'Youville College 3-2 in a North Eastern Athletic Conference match.
Keuka College (8-14, 4-12 NEAC) was led by Jared Kucko with 14 kills. Christian Nickerson and JP Nery each added eight kills for the Wolves. Spencer Avery led Keuka with 11 digs and Chris Corcoran had 38 assists. Connor Gail led a Wolves service attack that totaled 11 aces in the match. The junior had a team-high five aces in the loss.
Keuka College 2 (21, 25, 22, 25, 13) at D'Youville College 3 (25, 19, 25, 21, 15)
The Spartans played a near flawless first set against the Wolves on Sunday. They had 14 kills in the set and just one error taking the opener 25-21. The Green and Gold trailed halfway through the second, but they had a rally. Trailing 15-12, Keuka College scored 13 of the final 17 points to win the second 25-19, leveling the match at 1-1. It was D'Youville's turn for a rally in the third. Keuka led most of the set but the Spartans scored the final three points to win the third 25-22. The Wolves once again played from out in front. Keuka College held onto their lead, winning the fourth set 25-21, to force a fifth and final set. The Wolves forced the changeover, leading 8-4 in the fifth set. They held an 11-8 lead, but D'Youville scored four straight to take the lead. The set would be tied at 13-13 with Keuka College serving. D'Youville got a kill and a block to take the final two points, winning the set 15-13 and taking the match 3-2.
Playing the Percentages: Both JP Nery and Christian Nickerson had a very efficient day for the Keuka College offense. Both finished with eight kills and only one error. Nery finished with a .538 hitting percentage and Nickerson had a .438 hitting percentage for the Wolves.
- The win by the Spartans leveled the all-time series at 4-4
- Sunday was the final conference game of the season. The Wolves finished with a 4-12 NEAC record
- Nery broke his own school record with a .538 hitting percentage in the loss
- Christian Nickerson is right behind Nery in the record book with his .438 hitting percentage
- With his 14 kills today, senior Jared Kucko now has 252 kills in his career, moving into fifth place in Keuka College history
- The 11 aces by Keuka College are the most in school history for a five-set match.
- Connor Gail's five aces was a new school record as well
Coming up for Keuka College: The Wolves enter their final week of the 2017 season. Keuka College will play at Nazareth College on Thursday, April 6 before returning home on Sunday, April 9 against Bard. It will be Parents' and Senior Day for Keuka College against the Raptors on Sunday.