Rachid Blanken’s Late Goal Lifts Men’s Soccer

Rachid Blanken’s Late Goal Lifts Men’s Soccer

READING, PA — Rachid Blanken headed home a ball with 1:16 left to play in the second half to break a 2-2 tie got give Keuka College (5-0-1, 2-0) a 3-2 victory over hosts Penn St.-Berks (2-4-1, 0-2) in North Eastern Athletic Conference play.

The goal was Blanken's third of the season in just five games played. He also assisted on the first goal of the game for Keuka, scored by Ben Schreiber. Romeo Katanga scored his first goal of the season for the Green and Gold in the second half to tie the game for Keuka.

Keuka College will have the week to prepare for their next NEAC match. Keuka will host the Wells College Express next Saturday, September 26, at 1pm.

The Green and Gold came out flying against the Nittany Lions on Saturday. Rachid Blanken had a pair of shots minutes into the game, but the shots were saved. In the flurry, Rohel Duncan had shot off the post for Keuka. In the fifth minute, however, the Wolfpack would break through. Ben Schreiber took a pass from Blanken and beat the Berks keeper for the early 1-0 lead. The Nittany Lions would start to possess the ball more as the half went one. They began getting shots on goal and in the 18th minute, Berks found the back of the net to tie the game at 1-1. The two teams would evenly play out the half and go into the halftime break with the game tied.

Penn St.-Berks came out in the second half and broke the tie early. They scored 7:22 into the half to give the Nittany Lions a 2-1 advantage. Keuka would take control of the second half in an attempt to get back into the game. They had multiple shots and corner kicks, but did not convert. Keuka would tie the game in the 77th minute as Duncan sent a cross into the box and found Romeo Katanga who scored to level the match at 2-2. As the game seemed destine for overtime, Rachid Blanken would head home a ball with 1:16 left to play in the game to give Keuka College a 3-2 lead. Keuka would hold their lead for the final minute to earn their second straight NEAC victory.