HAMBURG, N.Y. — The Keuka College Men's Basketball team lost on Saturday afternoon at Hilbert College 98-97 in a non-conference game.
Hilbert College 98 vs. Keuka College 97
The Hawks and Wolves opened on Saturday in a tight game, trading baskets at each end for the floor. A James Barnes layup midway through the first half tied the game at 19-19. Hilbert responded as the home team went on a 14-0 run in just over two minutes to build a 33-19 lead. A layup and free throw by Barnes ended the run. The Wolves battled to stay in the game as they closed the margin as halftime neared. Nana Oteng hit a three for the Wolves with three seconds left to cut the deficit to three. Keuka College trailed 50-47 at the half.
Hilbert made the first five points in the half to extend their lead. The Green and Gold responded with 10 unanswered points. During the run, a layup by Devin Milton tied the game and the Wolves took the lead on a pair of free throws by James Barnes. Hilbert ended the run with a three to regain the lead 58-57. Later in the half, Keuka College strung 12 straight points together to build an 81-70 lead with 8:16 left to play. The Hawks began their comeback attempt. It was complete as Hilbert hit a three with 1:57 left to regain the lead 93-92. On the ensuing possession, Alex Medellin nailed a three to give Keuka the lead back. Hilbert would get a layup and foul. Converting the free throw gave the Hawks the lead back. Following a Keuka miss, Hilbert got another layup to pull ahead 98-95. Keuka attacked the basket with James Barnes getting followed. The junior remained perfect on the day from the stripe, hitting both to make it 98-97 Hilbert. The Wolves pressed Hilbert. The Hawks attempted to go over the top, but Devin Milton intercepted the ball. The Wolves got a timeout with three seconds left to play. The Wolves had a look at the buzzer, but it was off as Keuka College fell to Hilbert 98-97.
- The Wolves fall to 9-14 all-time against Hilbert College. Keuka College is 2-8 when playing at Hilbert
- It was the most points scored by both teams in the 23-game series
- 97 points is the seventh-most points ever scored on the road by Keuka College and the most the Wolves have every scored in a loss in program history
- Keuka College made 29 free throws, tying for the fifth most in a game in program history
- James Barnes went a perfect 9-9 from the line, the 14th time a player went perfect from the line with at least eight attempts in Keuka College Men's Basketball history
- Hilbert College was +26 in rebounding, holding a 51-25 advantage on the glass
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves will return to action following the Thanksgiving break. The Green and Gold will play in the Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown Tournament next weekend. Keuka College will open the tournament against the hosts, the University of Rochester. Also in the tournament is Utica College and Neumann University.