CAZENOVIA, N.Y. — The Keuka College Men's Basketball team opened North Eastern Athletic Conference play with a road victory on Saturday, defeating hosts Cazenovia College 78-73.
Senior Trevor Powell led Keuka College (4-2, 1-0 NEAC) in scoring with 22 points as a part of his second straight double-double. Powell also grabbed 11 boards in the win. Not to be outdone, fellow senior Ryder Mansfield also recorded a double-double with 21 points and a team-high 14 rebounds.
Keuka College 78 at Cazenovia College 73
Keuka College struggled to get their offense going as they netted just their sixth point five minutes into the contest on Saturday. However, Cazenovia was unable to take advantage in a low-scoring first half. The Wildcats held an early 8-6 lead. After trading the lead multiple times, Cazenovia pushed their lead to six points, 19-13. James Barnes snapped the run with a layup. Cazenovia responded with a three to push the lead to seven, but the Wolves got hot to close the half. Keuka College cut into the lead and then scored the final six points of the half, capped by a Ryder Mansfield layup as the game went to halftime tied 29-29.
The Wolves came out strong in the second half and took the lead against Cazenovia. A three by Sam Brown started a run of nine unanswered points for the Wolves as they opened a 44-36 lead over the Wildcats. Keuka's lead grew to double digits and peaked at 12 points midway through the second. Cazenovia turned to the three-pointer in an attempt to get back into the game. In total, the Wildcats went 7-18 from deep in the second half. They would cut the Keuka lead down to two points with four minutes left to play, but the Wolves took a long rebound and Sam Brown found Trevor Powell in transition for the layup and foul. After the converting the three-point play, Keuka's lead was back to five. The Wolves would maintain that lead through the end as they defeated Cazenovia College 78-73 on Saturday.
- Saturday was the 50th all-time meeting between Keuka College and Cazenovia College in men's basketball. The Wolves lead the all-time series 28-22
- Keuka College has had difficulties winning at Cazenovia in the series. Overall, the Wolves improve to 10-13 at Cazenovia
- Trevor Powell recorded his ninth career double-double while it was the sixth for Ryder Mansfield
- Powell now has 458 career rebounds, passing Hanif Davis for 10th on the career rebounding list at Keuka College
- Ryder Mansfield also found the record book on Saturday. He went 9-11 (81.8%) from the floor. He tied Kyle Reagan for the sixth best field goal percentage with at least 10 attempts in program history. Overall, it was the best shooting performance from the floor for Keuka College since Diamond Booker shoot 100% from the field in January 2011
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves step out of North Eastern Athletic Conference play on Tuesday and travels to Alfred University to face the Saxons. Alfred has won the last five meetings with the Wolves, including a 72-55 victory in Keuka Park last season.