ELMIRA, N.Y. — Hosts Elmira College scored a pair of runs in the bottom of the ninth to defeat Keuka College 8-7 on Tuesday in a non-conference game.
Elmira College 8 vs. Keuka College 7
The Soaring Eagles scored two runs in the bottom of the first and pushed their lead to 6-0 with four in the bottom of the second for the early advantage.
Keuka College chipped away at the lead with two runs in the third on a sacrifice fly and an error by Elmira. Keuka the scored on a groundout in the fourth to make it 6-3.
In the sixth inning, Brooks Vertoske doubled to scored Caleb Ladd, making it 6-4. An inning later, Ulric Petri hit a two-run single down the right field line to tie the game. The Wolves would come all the way back in the eighth as an RBI single by Ryan Seales gave Keuka College a 7-6 lead.
Elmira College led the bottom of the ninth off with a double. The Wolves got a strikeout and then a second, however there was a wild pitch on the second strikeout, allowing the runner to reach first base. The Soaring Eagles tied the game as ball four to load the bases got past the catcher for a passed ball to score a run. The next batter hit a game-ending sacrifice fly to center as Elmira College defeated Keuka College 8-7.
- Keuka College is now 3-2 all-time against Elmira College
- Both of the times Keuka has lost in the series has been by one run
- The loss snapped Keuka's school-record 13-game and eight-game road winning streaks
- Dan Bamann had a sacrifice fly in the game to drive in the 82nd run of his career, breaking a tie with Dave Pietraszek for second in program history
- Dylan Beaulac threw three innings of scoreless, one-hit, relief for the Wolves
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves will return to North Eastern Athletic Conference play tomorrow as Keuka College will close the regular season with a four-game homestand. It will begin on Wednesday as the Wolves will host SUNY Poly in a single, nine-inning, game from Kuhl Field. First pitch is set for 3pm.