WASHINGTON, D.C. — Junior Brooks Vertoske hit a home run in both games for Keuka College in a North Eastern Athletic Conference doubleheader at Gallaudet University on Saturday.
Keuka College (10-13, 5-3 NEAC) shutout the Bison 5-0 in game one. The Wolves then completed the sweep with a 9-3 win in the nightcap.
Keuka College 5 at Gallaudet University 0 – Game One
Nick Brown led the third off with a double and later scored on a Freedman sacrifice fly to double the Keuka lead. The Green and Gold then plated a pair of runs in the fourth on a two-run double by Dave Verrett to make it 4-0.
Brooks Vertoske capped the scoring with a solo home run to leadoff the top of the sixth inning as Keuka College would go onto win the opener 5-0.
Lead Wolf: Starting pitcher Daniel Steve kept the Bison off balance all game. He allowed just five hits in the complete game shutout. Steve tied his career-high with seven strikeouts in the game.
Keuka College 9 at Gallaudet University 3 – Game Two
Brooks Vertoske stayed hot for the Wolves as he sent the first pitch of the game over the left field wall for the 1-0 lead. Ryan Seales later singled up the middle to score Dan Bamann and push the advantage to 2-0.
After Gallaudet got one back in the third, Keuka College scored four in the fourth. A bases-loaded single by Tyler Freedman plated one run. That was followed by a double down the left field line to clear the bases as Keuka extended their lead to 6-1.
Single runs by Keuka in the fifth, an RBI triple by Tyler Freedman, and the sixth, a run on a throwing error, pushed the lead to 8-1. The Bison got two back in the seventh, but Keuka College held them there. The Green and Gold added a sacrifice fly in the eighth on their way to the 9-3 victory.
Lead Wolf: Ryan Seales went a perfect 3-3 in game two with three single and a pair of walks. The freshman drove in a run and scored one as well.
- The Wolves have won 10 straight against Gallaudet, extending Keuka's series advantage to 12-8
- Keuka College set a new program record in hitting their 15th triple of the season
- The Wolves now have 55 doubles on the season, tying the 2017 team for third in the record books
- Dan Bamann finished the day with four RBIs. He now has 67 in his career, leaping to fourth on the career list
- Tyler Freedman passed his previous career-high in hits on Saturday. The senior also has tied the school record with the eighth and ninth triple of his career. Freedman has five triples this season, also tying for the single-season record
- It was the second and third home run of the season for Brooks Vertoske. The junior has 24 hits on the season with 13 of them being for extra bases
- Vertoske also tied the single-season triples record, hitting his fifth triple of the year in game one
- Tyler Broderick had his career-best nine-game hitting streak snapped in game one. The string ranks in the top ten in program history
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves will conclude their three-game North Eastern Athletic Conference series on Sunday from Washington, D.C. First pitch between the Wolves and Bison is set for 12pm.